Re: Alienware High Definition Media Server Review

  • Subject: Re: Alienware High Definition Media Server Review
  • From: "Paul Bendall" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 11:49:38 -0000

That's an interesting piece of kit. I am starting to consider using=20
a media server to distribute all video and TV around the house=20
rather than matrix switches and baluns.

The main room could use a fanless Pico-ITX machine that is wall=20
mounted and the bedrooms have XBox or Playstaion 3 devices so why=20
not use them for TV as well?

I'm seriously thinking of building my own system based on the=20
recently released (although not generally available) Commell LV-678=20
Mini-ITX which has some good specs:

CPU: Intel=AE CoreTM 2 Quad / CoreTM 2 Duo Desktop with LGA775 @=20
800/1066/1333 MHz FSB.=20
Memory: 2 x 240-pin DDR2 667/800MHz up to 4.0GB.=20=20
Chipset: Intel=AE Q35 Express chipset & ICH9DO=20
Serial ATA: 6 x Serial ATA II interface with 300MB/s transfer rate.=20
Support RAID=20=20
LAN Interface: 2 x Intel=AE 82573L Gigabit Ethernet Controller.=20

Paul