RE: Re: Modern Home Servers - Power Savings

On Wed, April 23, 2008 1:59 pm, Mark McCall wrote:
>> £295 a year is quite a lot of money to be spending on running
a server
>> it's about 80p (or 10kw) a day.
>
> Looking at their article again - blogs.technet.com/homeserver - they
are
> using German electricity prices which seem to be around £0.16 per
unit.

> 20 months ago I measured my basic Dell (single drive) machine at
around
> 150W
> - http://tinyurl.com/26ge38 or 3.6 KwH's
(that compares to the 5 KwH's
> used for their server spec calculation).
>
> Here in NI electricity is currently (get it!) 11.11p +vat per unit so
> calculate my 150W box at around 40p per day or £146.00 + vat
(5%?) per
> year. So say that's replaced with a 20 Watt machine - that would cost
> approx £19.30 +vat - so whatever your leccy prices, the potential
relative
> savings are undeniable.

Agreed ...

... as long as you can do what you want to do with a 20Watt device.

Sure a WHS machine can serve a couple of TB of data but once you go
"outside the box" for storage then you start racking up power
again on
multiple inefficient PSUs. My "new" server is back up to 12
drives if you
include the boot drive and draws a tad over 90w average (drives spun down
most of the time). Compare like with like and I'll be a convert but find
me the running costs for a WHS machine that is carrying 9Tb of drives and
is running SlimServer, Azureus, HomeGate (so can't be allowed to sleep)
etc.

That's all I'm saying - just compare like with like - an ickle 20w box
which wakes upevery so often would suit my mum but not really much use to
a user with always on needs?

Phil