Re: Re: Modern Home Servers - Power Savings

£295 a year is quite a lot of money to be spending on running a
server ...
it's about 80p (or 10kw) a day.

Even my big 26 drive server setup that ran on a Mac Mini ran at a worst
case of 240w with all drives spinning and being accessed and averaged out
at about 1/2 that (120w) so I reckon that was about £80 a year to run
and
that did everything - HA, media server etc. which leaves a bit less of a
fantastic 1/3rd saving running a piece of hardware that won't be half as
flexible...

Pil

On Wed, April 23, 2008 12:00 pm, Lehane Kellett wrote:
> Hmm,
> I suspect a large element of the power savings come from the scheduled
> power down/up, something which a PC/server running HA software (or *)
isn't

wrote:

>> The Windows Home Server Team Blog has an interesting piece on the
>>
> running
>> costs of a modern home server versus a regular PC.  They found the
> annual
>> running costs to be around £25 versus £295............
>>
>> .......When most other energy saving technologies
>>
> Solar/Wind/HeatPump etc
>
>> still appear to have huge payback times, it seems you really could
> benefit
>> financially from buying a new home server.  For example in the
best
> power
>> saving senario the Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo Home Server 1500 at
around
> £400
>
>> could be considered to have been "free" in under 18
months...