Re: Re: Modern Home Servers - Power Savings

Like Paul, electricity usage / running costs is important in my design
too.

Fortunately my requirements are not resource intensive so my new server is
based around a low consumption mini-itx epia board consuming approx 30w
including HD.  My initial estimates reckon about =A330-=A350 annual cost
fo=
24/7 running.

Of course there are compromises to reach this - no raid/online backup but
I'm intending to do automated off-line backups to an external drive with
th=
server controlling power up/down as needed.

jon

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 1:10 PM, Paul Bendall <paul@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

>   Mark,
>
> I agree a mini-ITX server running a fanless motherboard and a small
> solid state hard-drive can be run at less than 15W. Most HA
> controllers aren't particuliarly intensive on CPU so overall
> performance isn't important. No reason that the "brains"
can't then
> control more powerful computers / devices through HA power sockets or
> magic packets to WOL.
>
> This is the methodology I am following. Currently my node0 runs at
> 85W, doesn't sound much but running 24x7 that is 2KW per day. I have
> already tested a script to shutdwon my NAS (20W) and will add an
> Idratek controlled relay to turn off the gigabit switch. That will get
> me to around 25W (my current Mini-ITX board is not fanless)
>
> Paul
>
>=20=20

--=20
www.jpdw.org / Information : The currency of the Future