Re: Whole House Rennovation Automation Plans - Have I got it right?

  • Subject: Re: Whole House Rennovation Automation Plans - Have I got it right?
  • From: "dermot_bradley" <bradley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 08:31:36 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Ben McCormack"
<yahoogroup@...> wrote:

> Video
> -------
> Multiple Hacked Apple TVs
> KAT5 Units for Limited Tivo Distribution

What hacks for the Apple TVs?

I'm considering buying a few Mac Minis to run as MythTV frontends.

Also, why KAT5 for video distrubution? You mentioned you're putting
CAT5 into various rooms so why not use some sort of TCP/IP based video
streaming (MythTV, Sage, etc). I'm guessing you've already got the
Tivo and want to reuse it.

> Cabling
> -------
> Planning multiple CAT5e runs to each room in the house wired back
> to Patch Panels in the loft where most of the equipment will be
> located.

Is your loft floored and walled, or just open rafters and insulation?
Is it the "new style" warm loft where there is foil-backed foam
sheets
just under the roof tiles and felt.

I decided again putting Node0 in the loft as I have the above type of
loft and worried about dust getting into fans and machines overheating.

> Temperature Monitoring
> Independent of the Hometronic system I may want to add temperature
> monitoring to each room. I am intend to run Cat5 cables to each room
> so I could use 1-Wire sensors.

I recently ran some 4-core telephone cable around the house for 1-wire
use (slightly smaller than CAT5 so easier to run). Rather than run a
"star" with cables in each room back to one place I daisy-chained
it
from room to room with the PC interface at one end of the chain. I
have some 18B20 temp sensors but I've not wired them up yet.