RE: Windows 2000 or XP on USB or CF?

> Yup,
>=20
> I have Win2KPro running on a 1GB CF Card.
>=20
> (CF Card connected to an IDE adapter).
>=20
> initially installed to an IDE Disk - stripped out all the un-
> necessaries (I
> did it the hard way, before I found the Lite tools you mention).

Big CF cards are pretty cheap nowadays though... ;-)

> Should be able to get it down to about 500MB. partition magic to
resize
> it to EXACTLY the same size as the CF card, image it over - pull disc
> out, connect CF - and away you go.

*chuckle* Is it *REALLY* that simple? ;-)

> Make sure you get the quickest CF you can find, else it's horribly
> slow.

TBH I only want to run *ONE* application and that'll be run automatically
when booting ... just want to run a touchscreen UI to my HA kit. Once
that'=
booted then actual data rates to and from the card won't be an issue.

Is there any problem with windows doing writes to the "boot
drive" and the
limited number of write cycles that CF cards have? I know you can obviously
disable virtual memory but obviously it would be best if it were possible
t=
write protect the boot device. I was toying with the idea of using a
microdrive (the 1Gb one that I bought years ago for my first decent digital
camera at the now seemingly extortionate cost of =A3470) instead of a true
solid state CF card as the microdrive doesn't suffer from restricted write
cycles.

Phil=20