Re: Windows 2000 or XP on USB or CF?

True - - it was a while back, and the 1GB limit was imposed by
external
factors. Getting a bigger one will be beneficial in two ways - - 1 - the
obvious - less need to trim the OS, more storage space etc.

2 - relating to the limited write cycles. the CF will intelligently remap
bad sectors into unused space - thus, the more unused space you have, the
longer it will last before it runs out of all options! :)

I *tried* to go completely RO on the boot drive, but it was a no go - - too
many log files /"hidden updates", registry changes etc - - just
wouldn't
work.

that said, my 1GB drive has been in use 24/7 for 18 months + primarily as a
print server/spooler, but also as an occasional file store for digital
phot=
frame - and it's still not showing any errors.

IMHO, the limited write cycles isn't going to be much of a problem
(obviously a different matter if it constantly hammered) - but given
sufficient ram, and a properly disabled paging sub-system, you should be
good to go!

On 9/16/07, Phil Harris <phil@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>   > Yup,
> >
> > I have Win2KPro running on a 1GB CF Card.
> >
> > (CF Card connected to an IDE adapter).
> >
> > initially installed to an IDE Disk - stripped out all the un-
> > necessaries (I
> > did it the hard way, before I found the Lite tools you mention).
>
> Big CF cards are pretty cheap nowadays though... ;-)
>
> > Should be able to get it down to about 500MB. partition magic to
resize
> > it to EXACTLY the same size as the CF card, image it over - pull
disc
> > out, connect CF - and away you go.
>
> *chuckle* Is it *REALLY* that simple? ;-)
>
> > Make sure you get the quickest CF you can find, else it's
horribly
> > slow.
>
> TBH I only want to run *ONE* application and that'll be run
automatically
> when booting ... just want to run a touchscreen UI to my HA kit. Once
> that's
> booted then actual data rates to and from the card won't be an issue.
>
> Is there any problem with windows doing writes to the "boot
drive" and th=
> limited number of write cycles that CF cards have? I know you can
> obviously
> disable virtual memory but obviously it would be best if it were
possible
> write protect the boot device. I was toying with the idea of using a
> microdrive (the 1Gb one that I bought years ago for my first decent
> digital
> camera at the now seemingly extortionate cost of =A3470) instead of a
tru=
> solid state CF card as the microdrive doesn't suffer from restricted
writ=