Re: Confused with Video distribution

  • Subject: Re: Confused with Video distribution
  • From: "Paul Bendall" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 11:38:10 -0000

Paul,

All very good points. For now S-Video is more than adequate and so
too is a 4:4 Matrix. I can run co-axial from the patch panel to the
wall plates.

However, I am also thinking about cable runs and considering if I
should have HDMI capable cable as this would seem to add some future-
proofing for HD content in the future. I have found quite a lot of
info about running S-Video over coaxial for longish distances.
However, less for HDMI over the same sort of distances. What you
recommend cabling wise for HD carrying?

Paul

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Paul Gale" <groups2@...> wrote:

> You just need to think VERY long and hard before parting with any
cash - what signals exactly do you want to distribute - are you
likely to upgrade a TV in one of the locations to HD in the future
etc? Whilst composite and S video are great for most places, I
already have HD capable displays in three locations. Good video is a
bit of a thing for me anyway as I run a video production company.
Saying that, for every day viewing, it's hard to tell much of a
difference between a really good quality composite signal and
something better on most smaller TV's, so the cheaper composite
switchers may be a good choice if cash is an issue.

> If you can afford it - many of the bigger component switchers can
also route composite and s video signals too - so they're a
good "cover all eventualities" choice :)

> I'd think carefully about the smaller 4 input/output switchers -
are they really going to be big enough once you get into it? Are you
likely to add another location? I also switch a few CCTV camera
feeds too - quite useful as you can view these feeds anywhere
without any other technology (although I also have a Geovision CCTV
server). You may also want to think about other likely video feeds -
text overlay from an HA controller like HomeVision, CCTV server
outputs etc.