RE: Re: Confused with Video distribution

You just need to think VERY long and hard before parting with any cash
- what signals exactly do you want to distribute - are you likely to
upgrade a TV in one of the locations to HD in the future etc? Whilst
composite and S video are great for most places, I already have HD capable
displays in three locations. Good video is a bit of a thing for me anyway
as I run a video production company. Saying that, for every day viewing,
it's hard to tell much of a difference between a really good quality
composite signal and something better on most smaller TV's, so the cheaper
composite switchers may be a good choice if cash is an issue.

If you can afford it - many of the bigger component switchers can also
route composite and s video signals too - so they're a good "cover all
eventualities" choice :)

I'd think carefully about the smaller 4 input/output switchers - are they
really going to be big enough once you get into it? Are you likely to add
another location? I also switch a few CCTV camera feeds too - quite useful
as you can view these feeds anywhere without any other technology (although
I also have a Geovision CCTV server). You may also want to think about
other likely video feeds - text overlay from an HA controller like
HomeVision, CCTV server outputs etc.

Paul.

wrote:

> > > Most importantly, what's your budget? There are many ways of
> doing
> > this.
> > >
> > > What I've done is use a matrix A/V switcher (Extron MAV128)
as