Re: Confused with Video distribution

  • Subject: Re: Confused with Video distribution
  • From: "Paul Bendall" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 07:54:48 -0000

Paul,

Thanks for the reply. I have had a look at the Extron stuff and it
looks very good. Yes a bit expensive but not horrendously so for the
kind of thing I was describing. I quite like the look of the S-Video
4:4 Matrix Switch. I have found a few links about running S-video
over coaxial cable for long runs which seems useful. Most TVs also
have S-Video input.

Just thinking about this now and how long I would need to save!

Paul

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Paul Gale" <groups2@...> wrote:

> Most importantly, what's your budget? There are many ways of doing
this.

> What I've done is use a matrix A/V switcher (Extron MAV128) as the
hub and feed all the sources into this. The switcher is only
composite with stereo but that's plenty good enough for most
standard TV's and smaller LCD's. The longer distance feeds and
outputs to the different rooms run via Cat5e structured cabling and
I use a pair of Keith Doxey's Kat5 units to distribute the video and
stereo signals through the Cat5. I also have a variety of other kit
including a component switcher with digital audio capability.
Signals are still fed by Kat5 units again as they can cope with
pretty much any signal as long as you have enough connections.

> http://www.kat5.tv/
>
> Cost isn't cheap though as I've spend a good few grand on all the
kit so far. As I said though, there are lots of other solutions but
you will get what you pay for.