Re: [OT] (A little) : Firewire cables...

Phil Harris wrote:
> Not really ... Multi-lane SATA is merging four SATA connections into a
> single "Super-SATA" connection, yes, but I'm pretty sure the
port
> multipliers are "only" five drives onto a single SATA cable
and not fifteen
> plus I don't think you can combine the two technologies yet.

The SATA spec allows for 1-to-15 port multipliers. Don't know if any
1-to->5 examples exist though :-)

Can't see why you wouldn't be able to combine with using Multi-lane
adapters - they just combine the 4 sets of signals physically. ie the
SATA link isn't aware it's going via a multi-lane cable, surely?

>> A 25 drive version is possible off the shelf using a combination
of
>> these:
>>
> Not practically it isn't...

It wouldn't be pretty, that's for sure. (Oh and spot the deliberate
mistake - should be 20 drives :-)

>> http://www.cooldrives.com/rasaii3g4plo.html
>>
> That's a PCI / PCI-X to 4 SATA controller...

Yep.

>> http://www.cooldrives.com/sapciadsaian.html
>>
> That's a 4 SATA to External MultiLane SATA connector...
> Now, if you use those then you're physically going to take up four PCI
> blanks to allow for the cables going into the side of that External
> MultiLane connector module...

Huh? 1 PCI surely? The 4 SATA cables from the PCI SATA controller to the
Multilane adapter will be inside the PC. Well, ok, that's two PCI blanks
in total. Perhaps there are motherboard SATA controllers that are
multiplier aware now though...?

>> (or http://www.cooldrives.com/cosamuhoad4x.html)
>>
> That's much more like it! (Assuming that you can get 'em in without
paying
> duty on 'em at £50 each.) Now, anyone know of any old mobo's with
a bunch of
> PCI-X slots and gigabit Ethernet? :-D

I should image you would have quite a choice. There are probably PCIe
version of the above card somewhere too. (NB: "Supports Serial ATA II
Port Multiplier Specifications")

>> http://www.cooldrives.com/seatamcasaii1.html
>>
> $60 / £30 a cable ... hmmm ... OK.

From a google search sample of 1 :-)

>> http://www.cooldrives.com/musaenscopde.html
>>
> $30/£15 a pop ... good find! That's cheaper than the FireWire800
to SATA
> bridgeboards I was looking at. (£37 + VAT)
> So that's £50 + £30 + £15 - say - £100 to get 4
SATA drives hooked up
> externally via full speed SATA which is about the same cost as
replacing the
> Firewire bridgeboards and cabling ... hmmm ... wonder if our US office
can
> get hold of them for me. ;-)

You can also buy ready-made eSATA/port multiplier enclosures there that
give you 5 drives from one eSATA port.

>> http://www.cooldrives.com/cosapomubrso.html
>>
> Now this one is a bit of an enigma ... firstly my external cases are
for 8
> drives anyway so two of the above "sets" would do a complete
case just
> nicely but secondly these need a special SATA-Multiplier capable card
> drive them which these guys don't seem to stock...

See "Supports Serial ATA II Port Multiplier Specifications" above
:-)

These look quite smart btw:

http://www.enhance-tech.com/documents/EnhanceBOX_E8.pdf
http://www.enhance-tech.com/documents/enhanceRACK_R8_ML.pdf