Re: Re: dimmable CFL

On 4 October 2007 at 7:50, "wywywywywywywywywywy"
<wywywywy@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Kevin Lo's 3-wire modules don't have a minimum load :D
> Unfortunately I use his 2-wire modules... which has a 40w min load,
> but still not too bad I think.

I might be wrong, but I think the modules you mention may be from the
same manufacturer as the one in my pictures below:

http://www.propercustard.co.uk/fault/

I purchased 10 of them from a UK-based third party who told me in May
that they asked the manufacturer for comment on the above... and I've
heard nothing in nearly five months.

Had they responded with an explanation (or indeed any response at all)
then I might have purchased from them again but I certainly not going to
do so now.  I'm not really inclined to use the third party again either.

Regards,
Mark.

> On the other hand, Osram have recently introduced a series of halogen
> energy saving lamps offering up to 33% extra brightness. Basically
> they just filled the bulbs with xenon gas (yes, the same technique
> used on car bulbs for years... don't know why they didn't do it
> sooner) so this new 40w halogen GU10 bulb is going to be as bright as
> a normal 50w one, as far as I understand. Obviously being halogen it
> is not going to be too expensive either.
>
> http://www.osram.com/osram_com/Consumer/Home_Lighting/Halogen_lamps/Product=

_overview/Plug-in_bases/ENERGY_SAVER_/HALOPAR_16_ENERGY_SAVER/index.html

> If the Varilight stuff turns out to be no good, I will probably go the
> Osram route - saving just a little bit of energy is better than not
> saving any at all.
>
> Thanks,
> Wayne
>

> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Mark Hindess <ukha@...> wrote:
> >
> >=20
> > On 2 October 2007 at 15:49, "wywywywywywywywywywy"
> > <wywywywy@...> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >=20
> > > I have also been waiting for these since about 6 months ago.
 And
> > > since last week they are finally available :D
> > >
> > > But do they REALLY work with a normal dimmer switch (and
hence HA
> > > systems) though?
> >=20
> > Well, I think most people are going to have the same issue as me.
> > have lots of lighting on LD11s.  These can be used with bulbs of
60W or
> > more.  Most of the circuits I have have only a single 60W/100W
bulb.  If
> > I replace these with a Varilight Dimmable bulb which is only 20W
then
> > it isn't going to work.  So unless you have circuits with 3+
bulbs then
> > these aren't going to work for you.
> >=20
> > I have no idea what the solution is to this problem but I'm sure
clever
> > people that recommended our country phase out normal bulbs will
provide
> > us with a solution, wont they?
> >=20
> > > Because the Megaman one claims that it does, but in reality
you have
> > > to flick it off and on, which isn't very good on a HA
system. So I am

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4
> /strict.dtd">
> <head>
> </head>

> <!--~-**PrettyHtmlStartT**-~-->
position:relative;">
15px 0 0; float:left;  z
> -index:1;">
> <!--~-**PrettyHtmlEndT**-~-->

> Kevin Lo's 3-wire modules don't have a minimum load :D<br>
> Unfortunately I use his 2-wire modules... which has a 40w min
load,<br>
> but still not too bad I think.<br>
> On the other hand, Osram have recently introduced a series of
halogen<br>
> energy saving lamps offering up to 33% extra brightness.
Basically<br>
> they just filled the bulbs with xenon gas (yes, the same
technique<br>
> used on car bulbs for years... don't know why they didn't do
it<br>
> sooner) so this new 40w halogen GU10 bulb is going to be as bright
as<br>
> a normal 50w one, as far as I understand. Obviously being halogen
it<br>
> is not going to be too expensive either.<br>

Product_overview/Plug-in_bases/ENERGY_SAVER_/HALOPAR_16_ENERGY_SAVER/index.ht

> If the Varilight stuff turns out to be no good, I will probably go
the<br>
> Osram route - saving just a little bit of energy is better than
not<br>
> saving any at all.<br>
> Thanks,<br>
> Wayne<br>
> --- In <a href="mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com";>ukha_d@yahoogroups.<wbr>com<
> /a>, Mark Hindess &lt;ukha@...&gt; wrote:<br>
> &gt;<br>
> &gt; <br>
> &gt; On 2 October 2007 at 15:49,
&quot;wywywywywywywywywy<wbr>wy&quot;<br>
> &gt; &lt;wywywywy@..<wbr>.&gt; wrote:<br>
> &gt; &gt; Hi,<br>
> &gt; &gt; <br>
> &gt; &gt; I have also been waiting for these since about 6
months ago.  And<b
> r>
> &gt; &gt; since last week they are finally available
:D<br>
> &gt; &gt;<br>
> &gt; &gt; But do they REALLY work with a normal dimmer switch
(and hence HA<b
> r>
> &gt; &gt; systems) though?<br>
> &gt; <br>
> &gt; Well, I think most people are going to have the same issue as
me.  I<br>
> &gt; have lots of lighting on LD11s.  These can be used with bulbs
of 60W or<
> br>
> &gt; more.  Most of the circuits I have have only a single
60W/100W bulb.  If
> &gt; I replace these with a Varilight Dimmable bulb which is only
20W then<br

> &gt; it isn't going to work.  So unless you have circuits with 3+
bulbs then<
> br>
> &gt; these aren't going to work for you.<br>
> &gt; <br>
> &gt; I have no idea what the solution is to this problem but I'm
sure clever<
> br>
> &gt; people that recommended our country phase out normal bulbs
will provide<
> br>
> &gt; us with a solution, wont they?<br>
> &gt; <br>
> &gt; &gt; Because the Megaman one claims that it does, but in
reality you hav
> e<br>
> &gt; &gt; to flick it off and on, which isn't very good on a
HA system. So I
> am<br>
> &gt; &gt; hoping the Varilight one is not like the Megaman
one.<br>
> &gt; <br>
> &gt; The Varilight Switch Dimmable ones, which have been available
for ages,<
> br>
> &gt; are like the Megaman one you describe.  The Varilight
Dimmable ones are<
> br>
> &gt; suppose to just work ... but of course they wont because
you'll just<br>
> &gt; damage your dimmer module.<br>
> &gt; <br>
> &gt; Regards,<br>
> &gt;  Mark.<br>
> &gt;<br>
>
>     <!--~-**PrettyHtmlStart**-~-->
white;"></span>
> <!--~-**PrettyHtmlEnd**-~-->
> <!--~-**PrettyHtmlStart**-~-->
> <head>
> <!--
> #ygrp-mkp{
>   border: 1px solid #d8d8d8;
>   font-family: Arial;
>   margin: 14px 0px;
>   padding: 0px 14px;
> }
> #ygrp-mkp hr{
>   border: 1px solid #d8d8d8;
> }
> #ygrp-mkp #hd{
>   color: #628c2a;
>   font-size: 85%;
>   font-weight: bold;
>   line-height: 122%;
>   margin: 10px 0px;
> }
> #ygrp-mkp #ads{
>   margin-bottom: 10px;
> }
> #ygrp-mkp .ad{
>   padding: 0 0;
> }
> #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
>   color: #0000ff;
>   text-decoration: none;
> }
> -->
> </head>
> <head>
> <!--
> #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
>   font-family: Arial;
> }
> #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
>   margin: 10px 0px;
>   font-weight: bold;
>   font-size: 78%;
>   line-height: 122%;
> }
> #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
>   margin-bottom: 10px;
>   padding: 0 0;
> }
> -->
> </head>
> <head>
> <!--
> #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px; font-family:
arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;*f