Re: dimmable CFL

  • Subject: Re: dimmable CFL
  • From: "wywywywywywywywywywy" <wywywywy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 14:56:42 -0000

Hi,

Yes, same manufacturer, and... ummm.... you are making me very
worried! I have about 4 or 5 of them, but all mine are wall or micro
modules, not plugin modules.

Have you tried emailing Kevin Lo directly?

Thanks,
Wayne

<wywywywy@...> wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > Kevin Lo's 3-wire modules don't have a minimum load :D
> > Unfortunately I use his 2-wire modules... which has a 40w min
load,
> > but still not too bad I think.
>
> I might be wrong, but I think the modules you mention may be from the
> same manufacturer as the one in my pictures below:
>
>   http://www.propercustard.co.uk/fault/
>
> I purchased 10 of them from a UK-based third party who told me in May
> that they asked the manufacturer for comment on the above... and I've
> heard nothing in nearly five months.
>
> Had they responded with an explanation (or indeed any response at all)
> then I might have purchased from them again but I certainly not going
> do so now.  I'm not really inclined to use the third party again
either.

> Regards,
>  Mark.
>
> > On the other hand, Osram have recently introduced a series of
halogen
> > energy saving lamps offering up to 33% extra brightness.
Basically
> > they just filled the bulbs with xenon gas (yes, the same
technique
> > used on car bulbs for years... don't know why they didn't do it
> > sooner) so this new 40w halogen GU10 bulb is going to be as
bright as
> > a normal 50w one, as far as I understand. Obviously being halogen
it
> > is not going to be too expensive either.

http://www.osram.com/osram_com/Consumer/Home_Lighting/Halogen_lamps/Product=

_overview/Plug-in_bases/ENERGY_SAVER_/HALOPAR_16_ENERGY_SAVER/index.html

> > If the Varilight stuff turns out to be no good, I will probably
go the
> > Osram route - saving just a little bit of energy is better than
not
> > saving any at all.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Wayne
> >

> > --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Mark Hindess <ukha@> wrote:
> > >
> > >=20

(and hence HA
> > >=20
> > > Well, I think most people are going to have the same issue
as me.  I
> > > have lots of lighting on LD11s.  These can be used with
bulbs of
60W or
> > > more.  Most of the circuits I have have only a single
60W/100W
bulb.  If
> > > I replace these with a Varilight Dimmable bulb which is only
20W
then
> > > it isn't going to work.  So unless you have circuits with 3+
bulbs then
> > > these aren't going to work for you.
> > >=20
> > > I have no idea what the solution is to this problem but I'm
sure
clever
> > > people that recommended our country phase out normal bulbs
will
provide
> > > us with a solution, wont they?
> > >=20
reality
you have
system.
So I am
> > >=20
> > > The Varilight Switch Dimmable ones, which have been
available
for ages,
> > > are like the Megaman one you describe.  The Varilight
Dimmable
ones are

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4
> > /strict.dtd">
> > <head>
> > </head>

> > <!--~-**PrettyHtmlStartT**-~-->
position:relative;">
padding: 0 15px 0 0;
float:left;  z
> > -index:1;">
> > <!--~-**PrettyHtmlEndT**-~-->

> > Kevin Lo's 3-wire modules don't have a minimum load :D<br>
> > Unfortunately I use his 2-wire modules... which has a 40w min
load,<br>
> > but still not too bad I think.<br>
> > On the other hand, Osram have recently introduced a series of
halogen<br>
> > energy saving lamps offering up to 33% extra brightness.
Basically<br>
> > they just filled the bulbs with xenon gas (yes, the same
technique<br>
> > used on car bulbs for years... don't know why they didn't do
it<br>
> > sooner) so this new 40w halogen GU10 bulb is going to be as
bright
as<br>
href="http://www.osram.com/osram_com/Consumer/Home_Lighting/Halogen_lamps/

Product_overview/Plug-in_bases/ENERGY_SAVER_/HALOPAR_16_ENERGY_SAVER/index.ht

> > If the Varilight stuff turns out to be no good, I will probably
go
the<br>
href="mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com";>ukha_d@yahoogroups.<wbr>com<
> > /a>, Mark Hindess ukha@ wrote:<br>
> > &gt;<br>
> > &gt; <br>
> > &gt; On 2 October 2007 at 15:49,
&quot;wywywywywywywywywy<wbr>wy&quot;<br>
> > &gt; wywywywy@<wbr>.&gt; wrote:<br>
> > &gt; &gt; Hi,<br>
> > &gt; &gt; <br>
> > &gt; &gt; I have also been waiting for these since about
6 months
ago.  And<b
> > r>
> > &gt; &gt; since last week they are finally available
:D<br>
> > &gt; &gt;<br>
> > &gt; &gt; But do they REALLY work with a normal dimmer
switch (and
hence HA<b
> > r>
> > &gt; &gt; systems) though?<br>
> > &gt; <br>
> > &gt; Well, I think most people are going to have the same
issue as
me.  I<br>
> > &gt; have lots of lighting on LD11s.  These can be used with
bulbs
of 60W or<
> > br>
> > &gt; more.  Most of the circuits I have have only a single
60W/100W bulb.  If
> > &gt; I replace these with a Varilight Dimmable bulb which is
only
20W then<br

> > &gt; it isn't going to work.  So unless you have circuits
with 3+
bulbs then<
> > br>
> > &gt; these aren't going to work for you.<br>
> > &gt; <br>
> > &gt; I have no idea what the solution is to this problem but
I'm
sure clever<
> > br>
> > &gt; people that recommended our country phase out normal
bulbs
will provide<
> > br>
> > &gt; us with a solution, wont they?<br>
> > &gt; <br>
> > &gt; &gt; Because the Megaman one claims that it does,
but in
reality you hav
> > e<br>
> > &gt; &gt; to flick it off and on, which isn't very good
on a HA
system. So I
> > am<br>
> > &gt; &gt; hoping the Varilight one is not like the
Megaman one.<br>
> > &gt; <br>
> > &gt; The Varilight Switch Dimmable ones, which have been
available
for ages,<
> > br>
> > &gt; are like the Megaman one you describe.  The Varilight
Dimmable ones are<
> > br>
> > &gt; suppose to just work ... but of course they wont because
you'll just<br>
> > &gt; damage your dimmer module.<br>
> > &gt; <br>
> > &gt; Regards,<br>
> > &gt;  Mark.<br>
> > &gt;<br>
> >
> >     <!--~-**PrettyHtmlStart**-~-->
white;"></span>
> > <!--~-**PrettyHtmlEnd**-~-->
> > <!--~-**PrettyHtmlStart**-~-->
> > <head>
> > <!--
> > #ygrp-mkp{
> >   border: 1px solid #d8d8d8;
> >   font-family: Arial;
> >   margin: 14px 0px;
> >   padding: 0px 14px;
> > }
> > #ygrp-mkp hr{
> >   border: 1px solid #d8d8d8;
> > }
> > #ygrp-mkp #hd{
> >   color: #628c2a;
> >   font-size: 85%;
> >   font-weight: bold;
> >   line-height: 122%;
> >   margin: 10px 0px;
> > }
> > #ygrp-mkp #ads{
> >   margin-bottom: 10px;
> > }
> > #ygrp-mkp .ad{
> >   padding: 0 0;
> > }
> > #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
> >   color: #0000ff;
> >   text-decoration: none;
> > }
> > -->
> > </head>
> > <head>
> > <!--
> > #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
> >   font-family: Arial;
> > }
> > #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
> >   margin: 10px 0px;
> >   font-weight: bold;
> >   font-size: 78%;
> >   line-height: 122%;
> > }
> > #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
> >   margin-bottom: 10px;
> >   padding: 0 0;
> > }
> > -->
> > </head>
> > <head>
> > <!--
> > #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px; font-family:
arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;*f