From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
wywywywywywywywywywy
Sent: 03 October 2007 08:31
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: [ukha_d] Re: dimmable CFL

Hi,

Yes I am aware there are two kinds. But the Megaman one also claims to
work with a normal dimmer switch, but in reality you need to flick the
dimmer switch off and on. Notice that although the Varilight one says
it will work with a normal dimmer switch, it doesn't say it will work
in a traditional dimmer switch way.

I am just being paranoid may be.

And I totally agree with your LED statement. In the US there are
already dimmable LED spotlight kits, but quite expensive at the moment
(IIRC $60 for a bulb then $120 for the controller). No doubt it will
be even more expensive when it gets here. That is until the Chinese
manufacturers start to mass-produce them! :D

Thanks,
Wayne

--- In ukha_d@yahoogroups. <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>
com, "Neil
Ball" <neilball@...> wrote:

> There are 2 versions of the Varilight unit, 1 that is dimmable with
> conventional leading edge dimmers and another that does the staged
dimming
> by flicking the switch which I am sure will soon will not have much of
> future if the 1st type works well.
>

> I expect that LEDs will solve the GU10 issue in time, manufacturers
are
> making significant steps forward in this area in relatively small time
> scales.
>

> Neil B.
>

> _____
>
> From: ukha_d@yahoogroups. <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>
com
[mailto:ukha_d@yahoogroups. <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>
com] On
Behalf Of
> wywywywywywywywywywy
> Sent: 02 October 2007 16:49
> To: ukha_d@yahoogroups. <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>
com
> Subject: [ukha_d] Re: dimmable CFL
>

> Hi,
>
> I have also been waiting for these since about 6 months ago.
> And since last week they are finally available :D
>
> But do they REALLY work with a normal dimmer switch (and hence HA
> systems) though?
>
> Because the Megaman one claims that it does, but in reality you have
> to flick it off and on, which isn't very good on a HA system. So I am
> hoping the Varilight one is not like the Megaman one.
>
> And I am not sure how long it will take to warm up either.
>
> Kinda wish they would bring out a GU10 version though! As 12 of them
> in the living room really do consume a lot of energy...
>
> Thanks,
> Wayne
>
> --- In ukha_d@yahoogroups. <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>
com, Chris
> Hunter <cjhunter@> wrote:
> >
> > great, thanks ... see they also do (are thinking about doing)
> > something for standard linear fluorescent's ... which might suit
us
> > even better ...
> >
> > Chris
> >

> > On 1 Oct 2007, at 10:56, jamie_whitehorn wrote:
> >

> > > These lights are made by Varilight and come in two forms.
The
version
> > > you've pointed at works form a normal switch and would, I
think, be
> > > difficult to use with an HA system. The other version can be
used
> > > with a
> > > standard dimmer (http://tinyurl. <http://tinyurl.
<http://tinyurl.com/yt7vr2>
com/yt7vr2>
com/yt7vr2
> <http://tinyurl.
<http://tinyurl. <http://tinyurl.com/yt7vr2>
com/yt7vr2>
com/yt7vr2>
> > > ), and might be easier to use with an HA system just by
using a
normal
> > > dimmer component (eg Idratek SLD).
> > >
> > > The switch dimmable ones have been available for a while.
The
dimmable
> > > ones were supposed to be available in May and slipped and
slipped and
> > > slipped their shipping date. This doesn't really surprise me
as
> > > making a
> > > flourescent light dimmable from a normal dimmer switch is a
bit of a
> > > technical challenge - normal dimmable flourescents require a
240v feed
> > > for the heaters. I've had one on order since May and they've
finally
> > > said they are shipping them. I've also been talking to Karam
at
> > > Idratek
> > > about these and they've also got one on order to test with
an
SLD, so
> > > I'm waiting for the thumbs up before plugging into the home
Idratek
> > > system (apparently if they don't work in a standard way
there is a
> > > possiblity that it could have unexpected results on the
SLD). As