Re: Server in Cold Garage

By dry I assume you mean no leaks, no water getting under the garage
door, etc.
Even if it is dry, it is still possible to get condensation on a
very muggy, foggy, cold night.

Also when I first started in UPSs, I use to stack them on an old bit
of carpet on the garage floor.  Though my garage is dry and heated,
the cold metal case drew moisture through the concrete floor and
went rusty underneath.  But if his server is in a rack this wouldn't
apply.
Andy

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Phil Harris" <phil@...> wrote:

> ...hence why I've kept saying "As long as it's dry in
there". ;-)

> Phil

Behalf
> > Of Andy Whitfield
> > Sent: 17 November 2007 11:48
> > To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
> > Subject: [ukha_d] Re: Server in Cold Garage
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > One problem you might have is condensation on the metal casing.
> > As you know I do UPSs and when I first had a storage room, I had
> > UPSs at one end of the room literally dripping in condensation,
yet
> > the UPSs at the other end were totally dry.  The room was only
40 sq
> > ft.
> > If you've got some old piece of equipment with a metal case then
you
> > might find it worth while placing it in the garage and checking
it
> > as early as you can in the morning after a really cold night.
> > And if the garage is built on to the side of the house then it
can
> > be a lot warmer on the house side of the garage.
> >
> > Andy the UPS Man
> >
> > --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Ben McCormack <yahoogroup@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Cheers all
> > >
> > > Looks like the mac mini etc etc will be relocating from my
desk to
> > the
> > > patchy cabinet
> > >
> > > Ben