Latest message you have seen: Re: 1TB "Green" Drives

{Disarmed} Re: Re: Windows home server

  • Subject: {Disarmed} Re: Re: Windows home server
  • From: "Mal Lansell" <mal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 12:46:11 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Neil Spellings <lists2@...> wrote:

> Mal Lansell wrote:
> > For that =A3180 (or
> > thereabouts) you can buy a motherboard with 9 internal SATA=20
connectors
> > (for example, the Abit AB9), a Core2Duo processor and 1Gb of RAM.
>=20
> [...]
>=20
> > The server will run faster and consume less
> > power too.
>=20
> Most RAID cards use between 8-10W, so power consumption is negligent
> compared with the drives themselves.
>=20

I was actually thinking of a new Core2Duo vs reusing an older system=20
with a plug-in RAID board.  But you're right - the drives will=20
dominate.

> Also I don't think I've ever seen a case where the bundled=20
motherboard
> RAID solution will outperform a dedicated hardware PCI(X) RAID card.
>=20
> AMCC have a good (but obviously biassed) comparison on their=20
website:
>=20
> http://www.3ware.com/products/pdf/HWvsSW_111804.pdf
>=20
>=20

Potential performance will be better with RAID, but how much do you=20
really need at home?  How many simultaneous users will there be?  I=20
would think there would be few enough that just plugging drives into=20
a motherboard will be sufficient (i.e no raid at all).

Mal