Latest message you have seen: RE: Recommendations for noise cancelling headphones...

Re: Windows home server

  • Subject: Re: Windows home server
  • From: "Mal Lansell" <mal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 12:53:01 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Phil Harris" <phil@...> wrote:

> 4.5Tb? Jesus ... can you manage with that little? ;-)

It will do for now, but if I get many more HD movies it will soon run
out!

> As for your "RAID is NOT backup" statement - again, couldn't
agree
with you
> more but I had to give up backing up my server long ago when a 6
tape DDS-4
> Autoloader became more use as a footstool than as a useable backup
medium.
> Nowadays my documents and photos get mirrored but my movie and
audio data
> has to go without being backed up.
>
> Phil

I do similar - the movie drives are only backed up by the DVDs, so a
failure there will mean some time consuming copying (but I expect I
will upgrade my disks well before they are on their last legs, so
hopefully failures will be very rare).  I do have a mirror drive for
my HD movies, because they would need 4 or 5 DVDs each to back up and
I can't be arsed!

Photos etc are backed up onto DVD.  More dynamic data - email,
intranet database and my xPL source code is still small enough to fit
on a 4Gb flash card that I keep locked in my desk at work.

Mal