Re: [OT] Node 0 file / exchange server

I'm sure you can run it all from a single box without too much problem
it's
just how much horsepower that box'll need and so how much heat it
generates.
My P4 box is just far too noisy for my liking and that's will a stack of
quiet components in it, Core Duo might solve this though.

The idea behind running the different apps on different VMs is that you can
isolate them e.g. the exchange partition would only need the exchange
pieces
without needing to add all the media server or video capture software as
well. There's less chance of one piece of software screwing another up and
it's easier to move a VM to another machine if you need to. That said I've
no idea how Windows licensing works in a VMware environment as I'm using
Linux for my media server.

On 07/06/07, Ho Yin Ng <architect.hoyin@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> So are you saying that having everything combined on one server is not
> wise idea?
>
> In an office environment I wouldn't but at home does it matter that
much
> if
> my exchange server needs a reboot and this means I don't get file
access?

> Or are you saying because it is a server I should be running SCSI RAID
> therefore storage will be expensive? And hence a second machine
running
> SATA
> drives would be cheaper?
>
> Or are you saying that that is just too much to run on one single box?
>
> I would probably at the moment run a 500gb drive in it with the space
for
> further two drives. But if worse can to worse I would probably run a
NAS