Re: Network media player

  • Subject: Re: Network media player
  • From: Ian Oliver <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2007 09:23:46 +0100

In article <000601c7a479$847b2710$8d717530$@tv>, Phil
Harris wrote:
> Ian's just left here with his MediaBox thing in hand and it *DID*
happily
> play the HiDef .WMV files that I downloaded last night.

Sounds good. My new one (Rhapsody N35) claims to, but it claims to be able
to play DivX and XviD, and there are plenty of these that upset it.

I guess I'm prepared to have clips in this format, but I wouldn't want to
grab (of even buy!) lots of stuff in a closed format such as this because
it's just not going to be future proof IMO

[later]

I just tried some of the Planet Earth stuff. It wouldn't play on my N35. I
tried it on our PC and got loads of error boxes saying there was a problem
with our DRM and we had to agree to various stuff to get a licence to play
the clip.

This is exactly why I hate this kind of stuff, why normal end-users won't
have anything to do with it, and why it deserves to rot in hell!

Ian Oliver
Sunny Leeds, UK
Using Java on Tini for control via Dallas 1-wire