Re: Cooling an understairs cupboard...Node 0!

  • Subject: Re: Cooling an understairs cupboard...Node 0!
  • From: "noel_pilot" <HA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 08:43:21 -0000

Hmmm hadn't thought of that one, i'm in a relatively new build house,
tongue and groove chipboard on the floor not sure whats beneath that.
cupboard is a long way from an external wall so extracting to outside
will be very difficult!

ref: use an inline fan and have the
> inlet duct at high level inside the cupboard and the outlet duct at
low
> level into the room.

Don't think I understand that bit, so suggestion would be to have
vents somehow into the floor with an inline fan, thereby pulling
cooler air from under the floor, up a duct pipe leading to the top of
the cupboard.....then the outlet duct from the cupboard at low level.

Being dumb I think here but doesn't that go against the principle of
the hot air rising bit?!

Hadn't thought that the air under the floor would be cooler so thats
definitely an option,

In terms of cutting the door back, do you mean essentially plane off
the bottom of the door, making a gap between the bottom of the door
and the floor!? thats a good call, far simpler than the issues
attached with putting a grille in.

cheers for the pointers.....very very much appreciated!!

Thanks
Noel

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Neil Ball" <neilball@...> wrote:

> Is your floor a suspended timber floor? If it is then I would be
tempted to
> put a couple of floor vents in to allow cool air from the sub floor
into the
> cupboard and use the fan to extract warm air from near the ceiling
and duct
> it back down under the floor using rigid duct to an external wall vent
> assuming your sub-floor void is accessible. If it is then I would
also look
> use an inline unit where both the inlet and outlet are ducted and
mount the
> fan down there as well. Much more work than the fan you propose but
also
> much more efficient. Will also be quieter as you will not have any
outlets
> into your Lounge and you could also use a thermostat to control the
fan so
> it does not run 24/7.
>

> If the sub-floor is not accessible but suspended then I would still
use
> floor vents for the inlet if at all possible, use an inline fan and
have the
> inlet duct at high level inside the cupboard and the outlet duct at
low
> level into the room. You could also box in the fan unit to try and
reduce
> the fan noise and use pliable mounts to avoid vibration/noise being
> transmitted into the wall.
>

> If the floor is concrete then you could simply cut the bottom of the
door
> back slightly to leave a gap for air to pass into the cupboard
rather than
> needing to fit a grille. Whatever you do try and keep the inlet and
outlet
> as far apart as possible to reduce the risk of the airflow short
circuiting
> (the extract air being pulled straight back into the inlet).
>

> Neil B.
>

>   _____

Behalf Of
> noel_pilot
> Sent: 14 July 2007 09:35
> To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
> Subject: [ukha_d] Cooling an understairs cupboard...Node 0!
>

> Hi all,
>
> I've achieved my goal of having all my boxes (not many so far, amp,
> xbox, pc, backup NAS, IR control) hidden away in my understairs
cupboard.

> Cables routed nicely through the wall using brush bristle face plates,
> only problem is the temperature/lack of ventilation in there, two
> thirds of the way through a film the other night the pc went into a
> loop restarting, that was the point I realised having the door shut is
> a VERY bad idea!
>
> So.....key item is the pc, it's a bog standard Mesh case from about 5
> years ago with an AMD XP 2Ghz processor in, good few years old now,
> four sata hard drives and one ide drive in there. Standard fans all
> round.
>
> So....whats the best route to go, was intrigued by the look of this
> http://tinyurl. <http://tinyurl.com/35t3oq>
com/35t3oq possibly put that