Re: Sat on a Toilet Sensor ?

  • Subject: Re: Sat on a Toilet Sensor ?
  • From: "Karam Karam" <kzkaram@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 23:00:45 -0000

If you're talking about the GP2D12 then let me explain that this is=20
not a PIR sensor - its an active IR sensor (emits modulated IR and=20
then detects where reflection lands on linear CCD array to work out=20
distance or 'within range'). The idea would not be to mount it in=20
bowl but perhaps as suggested behind seat pointing downwards (and=20
clearing top of open lid). It may even be feasible to mount in=20
ceiling above head. The relatively small range is probably an=20
adavantage when mounted behind sta person to prevent false triggering=20
but I think that the range can be tweaked to over 1 meter.

You might be able to use a standard timed output PIR sensor mounted=20
in the ceiling with suitably 'adjusted' field of view such that it=20
avoided detecting much beyond the toilet seat. Certainly 'spot' type=20
PIR sensors exist but not seen these in off the shelf (eg. B&Q) type=20
units.

I think that I'd agree that perhaps some sort of load sensor might be=20
more reliable, the trouble is the amount of electronics that you may=20
have to use beyond the sensor itself. A strain guage needs some=20
decent amplification/conditioning electronics and where would you=20
bond the sensor?. A load cell (typically strain guage already bonded=20
to suitable structure) would be placed presumably between tolet seat=20
and floor but as far as I can remember these are quite expensive=20
devices and will still need the final electronics too.

Karam

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Marcus Warrington"=20
<marcus.warrington@...> wrote:

> I tend to agree with you Ian.. that's why I think something like a=20
strain gauge or load cell is a better solution, since its not=20
connected to the toilet itself, can be completely invisible and only=20
activate upon sitting (well I suppose you could stand on the toilet).
>=20
>=20=20
>=20
> Looking in RS (www.rswww.com <http://www.rswww.com/> ) part number=20
632-124 is a "Mild Steel foil strain gauage, 2mm gauage" cost
=A35.09=20
each
>=20
> Since the toilet is wall mounted with bolts through a 18mm MDF=20
panel, wonder if one of these mounted on the wooden panel would=20
detect any slight deflection of the panel when someone sat on the=20
toilet ?
Behalf Of ian.bird@...
> Sent: 13 July 2007 12:37
> To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
> Subject: RE: [ukha_d] Sat on a Toilet Sensor ?
>=20
>=20=20
>=20
> The PIR detection distance on those mentioned sensors is quite=20
short. For=20
> some it may even be a problem where the person leans forward=20
reading or=20
> dozing - or maybe passed out ;-)
>=20
> I would strongly advocate against putting anything in the pan or if=20
you=20
> can avoid it even under the seat rests. Think of cleaning and=20
possible=20
> water ingress. I have a level sensor in the outside sewage drain in=20
case=20
> of blockage and sorting that out when it fails is a pretty=20
miserable task=20
> :-(
>=20
> Thanks