Re: [OT] RAID

Rob Mouser wrote:
> Need/want to upgrade to RAID 5.
> Rob
This is an area where linux excels. It may not be suitable for you; if
you're
interested then I can offer some pointers...

Your original requirement of auto-magically getting the computer to do what
you're thinking may be a bit tricky ;)

Under linux you could perform that operation without a re-install but you
would
have to move the system from the 80Gb to the new raid manually.

David
PS I'm just writing a recovery script for a guy who inadvertently
*recreated* a
raid 5 array on a set of disks that already had a raid5 array running! He
then
resynced the parity on all those disks. I have every confidence that it
will be
recoverable :)
And just a couple of weeks ago I helped someone recover from a 2-disk
failure on
a raid5 array.
Recovery operations under linux are quite feasible even under drive failure
scenarios.