Re: Dynamic IP (and Draytek)

  • Subject: Re: Dynamic IP (and Draytek)
  • From: "domdevitto" <dom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 05:36:47 -0000

If you're a hardened techie, and want to play with your DNS settings
(via web GUI though), AAISP are the way to go.

They are by far the most communicative, and technical-oriented ISP out
there.

You get two RIPE regestered IP blocks (one of 1 IP for the 'outside'),
so though you can't take the space from ISP to ISP, it is totally static.

They are about to introduce a GUI to change the details of your ADSL
Max settings - so you can choose if you want "highly reliable, but
slower", or "fast as possible, but may go offline every once in a
while".  They also have a GUI to tell you the TRUE BRAS-limited
downstream, as opposed to the DSLAM-negioted downstream, which is
usually a half meg more - but can be 2 meg more :-(

Dom
--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Simon McCaughey" <simonmcc@...>
wrote:

> Hi
>
> Mine was suspended too, due to "abuse" but I managed to
re-activate it
> before it got deleted... it's good to hear that someone's looking
into it

> S.
>

> On 03/07/07, Jon Twyford <ukha@...> wrote:
> >
> > Hi All
> >
> > I don't know if anyone else has suffered from this but there
seems
to be a
> > bit of a problem with dyndns.org and Draytek routers at the
moment.

> > I have had my home hostname and also the work hostname deleted
from their
> > system due to update 'abuse'. This is caused by the router
repeatedly
> > updating the ip address when the address has not changed.
> >
> > Both dyndns and draytek know of the problem.
> >

> > I just thought it may be of interest.
> >

> > Jon

Behalf Of
> > Jon Payne
> > Sent: 03 July 2007 10:58
> > To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
> > Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Dynamic IP
> >
> > I've been using dyndns.org for years... works great. Together
with
> > SSLExplorer for remote access.

am a
> > bit
> > worried about having a forced IP change with a new ISP just like
TalkTalk