Re: Re: CCTV with XBox

Thanks chaps, looks like I misunderstood - I thought that the X could
be
hacked to a more or less complete linux box, but maybe I made too many
assumptions.  No worries, I have enough spare bits to build a 'real' pc.
Any suggestions for suitable cameras for in/outside?

Thanks
Martin

Paul Gale wrote:
> I've not heard of that either - but that doesn't mean it doesn't
exist!

> I have a geovision system and I'd wholeheartedly recommend it - the
features and software are outstanding. You could go entry level and get a
cheaper card but you still need a reasonable mid-range PC for this. The
bigger the card (i.e. more cameras), the higher spec PC you'll need.

> Alternatively, you could look at ZoneMinder which is a great bit of
(FREE) Linux based software. It's nowhere near as feature rich as the
geovision cards/software but is very capable. You'll also need to do a lot
more configuring and find suitable capture cards for the cameras although I
think there's a Linux/ZoneMinder pre-built distribution available?

wrote:
>>> A recent spell in hospital, leaving SWMBO alone at home, has
brought
>>> forward my plans for rigging up external and internal cameras
around
>> the
>>> ol' homestead.  I'm attracted by the idea of using one of the
50 quid
>>> Argos Xboxes as a base, because its a) cheap, b) quiet and c)
small-ish.

>>> I have no experience with these boxes, so I could do with some
guidance
>>> from those who have done this kind of thing before.  My
>> understanding is
>>> that in addition to hacking the 'Box, I will need a TV (or a
monitor
>>> with some kind of TV/VGA adaptor); a wireless bridge or
similar hooked
>>> into the 10/100 port (I already have a wireless network
running round
>>> the house), and some kind of keypad/keyboard to be able to
steer the
>>> beast. It will also need some software to monitor the cameras
and sound
>>> alarms and start recording when movement is detected. A couple
of
>>> immediate questions spring to mind:-
>>>
>>> - what do I need to do the hack the Xbox, and where is the
best
>> place to
>>> get the bits from?
>>> - any suggestions for suitable cameras and monitoring software
-
>>> ideally, the cameras would be wireless IP to minimise the
plumbing and
>>> allow them to be seen from other PCs on the network
>>> - can I use the speakers from the TV for sound from the
cameras, or

--

Grizelli Associates Limited
IT Project Consultants