Re: Re: CCTV with XBox

the limiting factor is the RAM.

You can hack it into a full linux box and even get myth TV running on
it but you still only have 64Mb to play with.

you should be able to find a 733Mhz PC second hand for the same or
less and upgrading the RAM won't require a soldering iron.

Sean

On 1/4/07, Martin Howell <martin.howell@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks chaps, looks like I misunderstood - I thought that the X could
be
> hacked to a more or less complete linux box, but maybe I made too many
> assumptions.  No worries, I have enough spare bits to build a 'real'
pc.
>   Any suggestions for suitable cameras for in/outside?
>
> Thanks
> Martin
>
> Paul Gale wrote:
> > I've not heard of that either - but that doesn't mean it doesn't
exist!

> > I have a geovision system and I'd wholeheartedly recommend it -
the features and software are outstanding. You could go entry level and get
a cheaper card but you still need a reasonable mid-range PC for this. The
bigger the card (i.e. more cameras), the higher spec PC you'll need.

> > Alternatively, you could look at ZoneMinder which is a great bit
of (FREE) Linux based software. It's nowhere near as feature rich as the
geovision cards/software but is very capable. You'll also need to do a lot
more configuring and find suitable capture cards for the cameras although I
think there's a Linux/ZoneMinder pre-built distribution available?

> > Paul.

confident about it!

<martin.howell@...> wrote:
> [...]
cameras around
> >> the

> >> understanding is
cameras and sound

> >> place to
software -
device - the box

--
"You're aware the boy failed my grade school math class, I take it?
And not that many years later he's teaching college. Now I ask you: Is