Simple Multi Room Audio help

  • Subject: Simple Multi Room Audio help
  • From: "seniorsimon" <simon.ryley@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 12:21:10 -0000

I'm after some advice for a basic multi room audio system for the
bathrooms in my house.  This is a retro fit into a finished property.

All I need is a single source (FM Radio) into two bathrooms.  If we
want other music I can just connect one of the ipods via an FM
transmitter and manually switch the radio frequency in the cupboard.

The source will be in a cupboard in the hallway, with either a single
mono or stereo speaker in each bathroom, so no mains voltage in the
bathrooms at all.   Speaker wires can be run to the ceilings or walls
of the bathrooms through the ceiling cavity without much difficulty.

I would like to have local on/off and volume control in each bathroom,
via a simple surface mount volume control by the door.  Its a fully
tiled bathroom and I want to be easily able to remove this system in a
few years when we move.

The source will be on a timeswitch for few hours each day when the
bathrooms are likely to be used.

1) Can anyone recommend a suitable volume control or am I best just
building my own with something like http://tinyurl.com/2fv5wj

2) If I fit ceiling speakers does this cause problems with fire regs?
I'm currently thinking that small surface mount cube speakers are the
way to go to keep things simple.  Anyone have any they recommend for a
bathroom?

3)  What kind of source and or amp do I need?  As I want both
bathrooms to run simultaneously, I assume I need something with two
sets of speaker outputs?  Its going to be in a cupboard and rarely
seen, so aesthetics aren't a problem here.   Current plan is something
from ebay.

4) Are there any glaring holes in this plan?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Simon