Re: Minimum FPS for CCTV system

On 5 Feb 2007, at 07:50, Nigel Giddings wrote:

> I am looking at specifying  a CCTV system using between 12 and 16
> cameras.
> It would seem that many of these systems share the video capture
> across all the cameras and therefore shares the Frames per Second
> across the number of installed cameras.
> I wonder what FPS those who use this type of system would deem
> acceptable and a what point a low FPS causes problems of
> recognition. There is no point spending a shed load of cash to have
> something that is still no use
>  I would suppose that 4 fps or better would be adequate?

4fps will be a bit jerky. I aim for 8fps with my zoneminder system.
More would be nice though.

> Of course cameras will have a big impact as well so I may be asking
> for comments on those later.

Decent cameras are absolutely paramount. The difference between the
sort of camera you can buy in the shops/online, and the proper pro
kit is like night and day (sometimes literally!). There are some very
nice Samsung Techwin cameras that can still resolve colours in
conditions that the human eye has trouble seeing in at all!

Unfortunately I've yet to find a supplier for those who doesn't have
a "trade only" policy (anyone know better?).

I've just managed to score 3 "Vista" fixed domes on ebay (where
pro
kit is *very* thin on the ground, even 2nd hand). Spec looks fairly
good (down to 0.5lux in colour, 0.04lux b/w, 470 TVL resolution), but
not as good as the very latest kit. I'll report back on the
performance when they eventually turn up...

Jim