Re: Minimum FPS for CCTV system

Nigel,

I've got a 16 camera duplex multiplexer with HDD.  It's about 7 years old
now so a bit out of date, but it was VERY cutting edge at the time.
Anyway,
it records at 4 frames per second and this is definitely the lowest frame
rate you should aim for.  I've had instances in the past where the frame
rate hasn't been quick enough to get a decent image that's good enough for
the police.  Nowadays you almost have to provide a passport quality image
of
a prowler/burglar for the police to be interested.  I've recently been
considering replacing it with a newer model - higher frame rate, triplex,
better motion detection, better LAN and WAN connectivity etc...

When choosing cameras the main things to consider for good on screen
performance are: very good low light performance, high resolution, high
dynamic range, good backlight compensation, big CCD chip.

You can now get some very good 1.3 megapixel webcams for under £30.
These
would make excellent CCTV cameras if there was a security application that
could utilise them.  With 16 cameras and high frame rate the bandwidth and
storage would be massive though!!

Regards

Simon