Re: Re: Storage subsystem for HA server

 >component failure ...

that's another issue ... in nearly twenty years of 'Mac the only falures
we've had have been a display card in our IIfx, an intermitent fault in
the monitor power unit of the same machine, which needed the screen
plugged in & out every now & then, to keep it flowing properly, and
the
keyboard of our G4 (which shouldn't count really, 'cos it wa due to  a
G&T being tipped onto it, and washing it out left a couple of key not
working totally reliably) ...

>updates ...

the only updates we've bought since we got the G4 five years ago have
been OSX & the necessary MS Office update to go with it ('though the
latter was a total waste of money, it being a bodged job) ... plus a few
extras - ie: WiFi (Airport), a CD-burner, a scanner, and an Ethenet hub
... otherwise it still performs better than anything we have at work,
despite all the updates we've had there ...

Chris

Ian Lowe wrote:

>>plus going the PC route seems to be a recipe for getting sucked-in
>>

>lots of unplanned costs over time ... which we've found tends not to be
>the case with Apple ...
>
>See, I just don't get this...
>
>The only reasons I have ever had for upgrading my hardware are
component
>failure, or because my needs changed. If you have a windows server just
>ticking away, doing it's do, then it will do the same job for years
without
>ever needing new hardware until something fails.
>
>The unplanned costs over time are because the platform provides you
with so
>many new things to try that you grow the requirements beyond the
original
>and start asking the server to do more and more with each passing year.
>
>The Xserve units always leave me cold - if you want a nice desktop OS,
Macs