Re: Re: Storage subsystem for HA server

... and the Xserve has double processors, etc ...

anyway ... we're looking to buy both a Windows machine & a new desktop
'Mac, and Xserve with Parallels seems to be an alternative option ...

plus going the PC route seems to be a recipe for getting sucked-in to
lots of unplanned costs over time ... which we've found  tends not to be
the case with Apple ...

'more homework to do !

Chris

Andy Davies wrote:

>Didn't include the software but that's really only a cost if someone
wants
>to run Windows on it as opposed to a linux varient (I know some cost),
don't
>think the cost of a remote management board is included with the Dell
(can't
>remember if it's in the xserve cost)
>
>Problem I see it is they're both solving the wrong problems for the
home
>market, what we generally need is oodles of storage rather than CPU
>horsepower and 1U servers generally have limited storage unless you
hang
>other storage devices off them.
>
>1U servers are also generally very noisy - found the links you'd posted
>before and I thing they quote 60dB for the Xserver
>
>Overall I'd agree that the costs aren't that far out of line with each
>other, just that for me with pennies tight at the moment there are
different
>ways I'd spend my cash (I've got a pentium m based server built out of
bits
>off ebay and the parts box)
>
>Andy
>
>On 03/02/07, Chris Hunter <cjhunter@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>>the two & bit includes VAT, of course ...
>>
>>anyway ... there's more to it, maybe, than headline hardware spec'
&
>>price  ... 'thought these useful :
>>

>>http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterprisemac/archives/2006/10/xserve_xeon_rev.html
>>
>>http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterprisemac/archives/2006/10/xserve_xeon_rev_1.html
>>
>>http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterprisemac/archives/2006/11/xserve_review_p.html
>>
>>http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterprisemac/archives/2006/12/kill_two_window.html
>>

>>http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterprisemac/archives/2006/11/apple_xserve_th.html
>>

>>http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterprisemac/archives/2006/12/kill_two_window.html
>>
>>Chris
>>

>>Andy Davies wrote:
>>

>>>Two and a bit grand for an 80Gb server seems a bit on the steep
side to

>>me
>>

>>>(had a quick fiddle on the Dell site and came up with a dual
3Ghz Xeon

>>with
>>

>>>80 gig for under a grand ex VAT)...
>>>
>>>Advantage I see of a PC server is it gives you the opportunity
to get

>>there
>>

>>>in stages (I guess it's also a disadvantage as you can fiddle
to your

>>hearts
>>

>>>content too)
>>>
>>>Of course if you want to run OS X Server there's not a lot of
choice!

>>>Andy

of kit) but I'm

wrote:

> [...]