Latest message you have seen: Re: CurrentCost external install

Re: [OT} Scanning 35mm negatives?

Why not just buy a second hand film scanner?

If you still have SCSI you can get a real bargain. Now a days everyone
want=
USB and most kids don't even know what SCSI is! I have a Canoscan  FS2710
which I got years ago and cost me an arm and a leg. But it still does good
scans and definitely better than your flatbed scanner with attachment
jobbie.

Have a search on ebay and see if you can find something within your budget.

Ho Yin

On 29/12/2007, Jim <jim@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>   I went through the process of investigating scanners about 12 months
> ago,
> looking at 200+ films I wanted to digitise.
>
> Bureau scanning was out the question on cost grounds so I ended up
gettin=
> Nikon 5000 dedicated scanner. Certainly not cheap (IIRC about =A3600)
but
> the
> results are stunning and well worth the money.
>
> If you only have 10-20 films, on a pound-for-quality basis, I'd have
them
> done professionally. No scanner for =A3160 is going to give you
anywhere
> near
> the standard you will get from a scanning company. All companies I
looked
> at
> had different prices for different scan resolutions, which equates to
tim=
> on their part as it takes longer at the higher quality. What you need
wil=
> come down to your intended use.
>
> Jim

as w=
> had no photos of our wedding otherwise!
>
> The local "agfa photo centre" in Hamilton managed to work
bloody wonders
> with them - giving us a proper set of digital images from the prints.
>
> Basically, our lives before the digital photography age might as well
hav=
> never existed - whilst we have a wee sidebar gadget in vista which
> randomly
> pops up photos from the Gallery, and a photo screensaver on the
kitchen P=