Re: Home Server Storage

I've been using the services of a company called Carbonite

www.carbonite.com  for 18 months or so. =A325/year for unlimited backup!

you select files or folders on your PC, and the little app that runs in the
background automatically backs your stuff up to their servers when your
internet connection is quiet, so's not to impact on general performance.

the initial backup can take some time - bus subsequent changes are backed
u=
as "diffs" so take next to no time at all.

I've spoken to their tech guys, and all data is encrypted before upload,
an=
mirrored to multiple servers in separate data centres for redundancy.

They offer a 14 day free trial for you to give it a go.

The limiting factor is of course your bandwidth - but this would be true of
any off-site online storage.

if you decide to sign up, please use this link http://tinyurl.com/25cwsu -
it's a "refer a friend link" - you'll get an extra free month,
and I'll get
an extra 3 - - winner!! :-D

(no affiliation, just a happy customer etc)

Cheers,

Rob

On 15/12/2007, Mal Lansell <mal@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>   I've been thinking of using some of my website space for backups -
> obviously I'd need to make it inaccesable to the world at large, but
it
> seems a reasonable place to store important data such as photos. The
> backup would be easy to automate - just ftp any changed files up every
> night.
>
> I don't think I'd be too confident with the reciprocal arrangements
with
> another home user - not because of security but because of
reliability.
> At least the professional servers will be backed up and available
24/7.

> pjqx wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone looked into offsite web based backup as an alternative
> > ever more hard drives? I have been rethinking my storage needs
and
> > doing the backup to a TranquilPC T7 or HP EX470 or possibly a
homebrew
> > WHS box. The more I think it through I come to the conclusion
that the
> > safest place to have backup data is "out there" - No
noise, no space no
> > issues. There seem to be a number of suppliers offering 50Gb for
> > =A35/month which seems reasonable to me - anyone had any
experience of
> > what to look for/avoid?
> >
> > The only other thing I can think of is a reciprocal arrangement
where
> > YOU have some space in MY server and I have space in YOURS - Does
> > anyone currently do this? You would need to encrypt the offsite
data
> > and backup would need to be automatic, but it shouldn't be too
> > difficult to achieve with a bit of thought - May be a potential
WHS