Home Server Storage

  • Subject: Home Server Storage
  • From: "pjqx" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 10:31:39 -0000

Has anyone looked into offsite web based backup as an alternative
to=20
ever more hard drives?  I have been rethinking my storage needs and=20
doing the backup to a TranquilPC T7 or HP EX470 or possibly a homebrew=20
WHS box.  The more I think it through I come to the conclusion that the=20
safest place to have backup data is "out there" - No noise, no
space no=20
issues.  There seem to be a number of suppliers offering 50Gb for=20
=A35/month which seems reasonable to me - anyone had any experience of=20
what to look for/avoid?

The only other thing I can think of is a reciprocal arrangement where=20
YOU have some space in MY server and I have space in YOURS - Does=20
anyone currently do this?  You would need to encrypt the offsite data=20
and backup would need to be automatic, but it shouldn't be too=20
difficult to achieve with a bit of thought - May be a potential WHS=20
application.

Cheers,

Tim.