Re: UPS for Mac Mini Server + External Disk etc

  • Subject: Re: UPS for Mac Mini Server + External Disk etc
  • From: "Andy Whitfield" <andywhitfield2002@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 21:46:12 -0000

Hi
I run my own UPS business - that's all I deal in.
Quite a few UKHAers have bought from me in the past.
I think you should look at a UPS of 1400va or more to make sure you=20
have enough runtime.
Do you want rackmount or tower?
I've got literally tonnes of UPSs in stock.
I may be able to do a 2400va UPS for =A3100 if the existing batteries=20
are good.  Though maybe that would be too big for you?

I would add, be a bit cautious buying from Ebay.  Some sellers claim=20
new batteries are fitted when in fact they are used ones.  And they=20
like to stick a 'warranty void' sticker over the battery compartment=20
so if you open it to check the batteries are new they say you've=20
voided the warranty.

I'm also qualified in electronics and insured.  Most sellers on Ebay=20
are not qualified, yet they claim to fully refurbish the UPS.

Regards
Andy the UPS Man

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Ben McCormack <yahoogroup@...> wrote:

> All
>=20
> I have finally decided that I would like to use a mac mini as a=20=20
> server for the whole house, fileserver etc. I would also like to=20
put=20=20
> it onto a UPS so I can take the server down gracefully in the=20
event=20=20
> of power loss or spike.
>=20
> I am intending to have the following devices connected :
> New Mac Mini
> 2 External FW HDs
>=20
> I would like to be able to remotely manage the UPS, so I guess=20
with a=20=20
> Mac I either need ethernet or UPS. I probably need around 10-20=20
min=20=20
> running time. Thats more then enough for the server to shutdown.
>=20
> Budget is around =A3100 Max, less would be better. I am happy to=20
buy=20=20
> 2nd hand.
>=20
> I have seen the like of this on ebay - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/APC-
1000-=20
> UPS-Mint-Brand-new-batteries-price-inc-=20
>=20
VAT_W0QQitemZ150153355086QQihZ005QQcategoryZ75521QQssPageNameZWDVWQQr
dZ1=20