Re: Low power PC option

  • Subject: Re: Low power PC option
  • From: "Jonathan Shaw" <semi.jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 18:36:40 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Paul Bendall" <paul@...>
wrote:

> I run Cortex on a Via Mini-ITX EN15000 MoBo. It has been running
> quite happily for well over a year. I have a Megawatt plug-in monitor
> and it consumes around 26W. No real heat either. As well as running
> Cortex it has the following:

<snip>
> For a Node0 and central server I really don't see the need for a
> power-hungry CPU or MoBo.

I am am tempted by VIA but Idratek's use of RS232 ports for interfaces
and needing full size PCI cards (voiice modem now and future CCTV) made
this look like a difficult option.  CCTV is probably some way off so as
this is the only element with CPU power needs, I could stick with a low
power VIA/Centrino machine for the next step, was interested if the
Core 2 Duo chips offered low power consumption plus high performance
when needed, like the centrino.

Thanks
Jon