Node 0 patch panel installation

  • Subject: Node 0 patch panel installation
  • From: "Neil Ball" <neilball@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 16:13:20 +0100

Well Node 0 at the new house is finally coming together, just about to
start
installing my patch panels & terminating all my Cat5e cabling. I've
already
got all of my room side cables terminated and outlet plates fitted, I've
bought a simple cheap tester to ensure end-to-end terminations are correct.
I even tried a quick test with an outlet module punched down to a short
length of cable to the patch panel just to make sure I'm on the right track
and all seems to work (which is a relief!).

I'm not using a rack for any kit, SWMBO simply would not entertain the idea
of a 19" rack in the cupboard :-( So instead I've got the walls
sheeted with
ply leaving a decent service void behind for cabling. I've got the cutouts
prepared over which the patch panels will be mounted to allow access to the
cabling. I've neatly bundled the cables together and supported them with
tie
wraps fixed to the wall and am now starting to think about how to
physically
tackle the punch down process most efficiently. I'm using 2 2U 48-way patch
panels and had though of temporarily mounting them back-to-front just above
and below the cutout to hold them securely in place while I dress in the
cables and punch down. Would it be easier to start punching down at the
middle of the patch panel and work towards the outside edge or the opposite
to this? Anyone care to comment or offer any advice before I get started
this evening?

Neil B.