Wireless routers...

  • Subject: Wireless routers...
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 03:03:29 +0100

OK - I'm soon going to be in the position to start setting up my network
again somewhere new. I'll be moving away from the area so won't be able to
get cable (Booo!) which is a real bugger since next week I get the pleasure
of 20mbits here (with 100mbits planned for launch here soon).

What I will have is the dubious pleasure of ADSL ... Thankfully reasonably
local to the exchange so I should get a decent turn of speed.

So - two questions if you guys wouldn't mind sharing your experiences...

1) Can you recommend a good service provider that doesn't cap their
service=
?
I currently pay about =A337 a month for unlimited 10mbit on cable (that
excludes any phone line rental and phonecalls) so I'm not too worried about
it being cheap. Contrary to their reputation NTLs service has actually been
*REALLY* reliable so that's important to me too. So, in order of
importance=
,
uncapped, a decent turn of speed and reliable  ... All suggestions
gratefully received. (Do providers dole out static IP addresses anymore? I
know NTL don't but my IP address with them hasn't changed more than twice
i=
7 years.)

2) Recommendations for a good wireless ADSL router? I really don't care
whether it's separate components for the Wireless AP, Router and ADSL modem
or whether it's an all in one unit but again I need something that I can
fi=
and forget - has to be reliable, give good wireless throughput and not have
a tendancy to toast itself silly in hot weather (so maybe separate units
would be better in that respect?) I have so much trouble with crappy
wireless throughput and units that decide to toast themselves in hot
weathe=
- I seem to get through a cable router a year nearly here and I've had
whit=
and silver netgears, various Linksys, DLink and Belkins too, all the usual
PC World fayre! I don't do anything with VOIP yet and don't have a huge
desire to do so that's not high on my list of priorities but reliability is
- are Vigor still the dogs danglies?

Cheers

Phil=20