Re: Wireless routers...

'could be good to include the T-Mobile approach on your list'
...=20=20
we've found Web'n'Walk via an 'E61 good for the full rate (the meter=20=20
often reads 52kB - ie: a touch over the rated 383kb) ... and that'll=20=20
be going up to over 14Mb before too long (ie: 1.4Mb, using HSDPA,=20=20
which we'll have via an 'Z560 as soon as NovaMedia complete the=20=20
relevant update to Launch2Net, which we're using to do the talking,=20=20
because T-Mobile in the UK don't yet do 'Mac - and double that later=20=20
this year, and the full rate next year, if all goes to-plan - if ... )

IIRC, Web'n'Walk Plus with Flext 25 would fit your budget - we signed-=20
up to an 18-month contract on that, which gave us the 'E61with=20=20
Bluetooth headset & 'chargers, with unlimited (fair-play)
connection=20=20
& all our 'phone calls & text's (way more than we use, anyway)
& to a=20=20
similar deal on the 'Z560 ('35 rather than '25 ... 'wife wanted to=20=20
stay with her Palm & wasn't keen on the 'E61) ... both will
connect=20=20
via Bluetooth and USB ... mostly we use the latter, but the former is=20=20
handy when the 'phone's are being used as 'phones ... simultaneous=20=20
use being fine ... and it's been OK so far, with an old Powerbook
&=20=20
not having to stay connected to a wall, for land-line &
mains-power,=20=20
is pretty handy ...

a possibility, anyway ...

Chris

On 9 Apr 2007, at 03:03, Phil Harris wrote:

> OK - I'm soon going to be in the position to start setting up my=20=20
> network
> again somewhere new. I'll be moving away from the area so won't
be=20=20
> able to
> get cable (Booo!) which is a real bugger since next week I get
the=20=20
> pleasure
> of 20mbits here (with 100mbits planned for launch here soon).
>
> What I will have is the dubious pleasure of ADSL ... Thankfully=20=20
> reasonably
> local to the exchange so I should get a decent turn of speed.
>
> So - two questions if you guys wouldn't mind sharing your=20=20
> experiences...
>
> 1) Can you recommend a good service provider that doesn't cap
their=20=20
> service?
> I currently pay about =A337 a month for unlimited 10mbit on cable
(that
> excludes any phone line rental and phonecalls) so I'm not too=20=20
> worried about
> it being cheap. Contrary to their reputation NTLs service has=20=20
> actually been
> *REALLY* reliable so that's important to me too. So, in order of=20=20
> importance,
> uncapped, a decent turn of speed and reliable  ... All suggestions
> gratefully received. (Do providers dole out static IP addresses=20=20
> anymore? I
> know NTL don't but my IP address with them hasn't changed more
than=20=20
> twice in
> 7 years.)
>
> 2) Recommendations for a good wireless ADSL router? I really
don't=20=20
> care
> whether it's separate components for the Wireless AP, Router and=20=20
> ADSL modem
> or whether it's an all in one unit but again I need something
that=20=20
> I can fit
> and forget - has to be reliable, give good wireless throughput
and=20=20
> not have
> a tendancy to toast itself silly in hot weather (so maybe
separate=20=20
> units
> would be better in that respect?) I have so much trouble with crappy
> wireless throughput and units that decide to toast themselves in=20=20
> hot weather
> - I seem to get through a cable router a year nearly here and
I've=20=20