Re: Whoooosh..thud..oh bugger

Certainly very much like Cube, every time you press the
button, something unpleasant happens :-) The design is more
like Scrapheap Challenge - the motor came from a Cavalier,
the switches from a Renault Espace, the cables for a
mountain bike gearchange, and the pulleys from a long-dead
photocopier.  I've probably got enough bits left over to
build a small space shuttle, oh yes.

Good idea, the spring loading, but the cables have to be
taut to avoid the door oscillating when it stops/starts. I
did try a foam cushion arrangement to slow the door as it
approached the stops, but although that works ok the force
is just then concentrated in the drive. The motor has a worm
& wheel drive, so when it stops, it stops immediately and
the drive mech has to do the same or something (a joint in
the cable, mostly) has to break.  I think if I can slow it
down as it approaches the harbour wall I could use a current
sensor of some kind to stop the motor when the load is too
high and quick enough not to break anything.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will look at that idea again.

Martin