Re: Remote energy metering

Richard Parker wrote:
> Hello Kevin,
>
> Thank you for your very thorough reply!
>
> My overall goal is to be able to log energy consumption withim our
home over
> time, I presume this would require me to monitor and store the
> 'instantaneous consumption' provided by the meter.

You would find it easier to just store the current meter reading
periodically . If you have a device that can report this. That way you
don't have to have the monitoring software running 24/7.  The time
intervals could be whatever you needed.  If you have a pulse type
solution you will need to continually count those pulses either in a
standalone device or your software.
> I have read many different solutions, and to be honest I am quite
stunned
> that a very simple way of doing this doesn't really exist - and by
'simple'
> I'm referring to just being able to fit a device into the DIN-rail and
have
> that wirelessly transmit consumption information. I am not an
electrician,
> so I would have to hire one to install the DIN-rail equipment for me -
> presumably a registered electrician will also be aware about regs
regarding
> the separation of high and low voltage cabling.

There are very simple devices you have already identified that do just
this....the possible reason the DIN rail ones aren't wireless is because
a lot of consumer boxes are metal.
> I'm not adverse to coding, however - I'm a programmer for a living -
so I am
> confident I could write some software to receive the information,
however it
> is to be received.
>
> The only thing that is clear to me so far is that in my quest to find
a way
> of doing this without ripping apart my flat and becoming a
professional
> electrician in the process is that there are simply more and more
questions
> to answer!
>
> What would *you* do? :)

I used a Viom/xAP Netiom and those single width DIN counters that Tim
mentioned. But I'm into xAP and wanted the Ethernet network visibility
for the data , it's also not ideal for realtime measurement as for that
you still need a pc application 24/7 .   The RFXCom sounds more
manageable TBH . If you're not into the hardware bits, ( it sounds like
you want a contained solution ) and if that Ethernet device is
affordable to you it's a neat and easy solution.