Re: Remote energy metering

Hi Richard,

The RFXCom or Electrisave products can be connected around the main
feed into the consumer unit and measure the same values  (they don't
have to go before the meter).  If you're wanting to measure your whole
consumption just make sure the feed isn't in any way divided (eg between
consumer panels) before its point of attachment.  As you are considering
a DIN rail mounted meter I assume the panels are within your property.

As to the product you mention it looks interesting and suitable.
Probably they charge extra for their own software suite but as long as
the IP connection parameters and protocol is documented you should be
able to write your own application processing this data . I haven't read
the docs so not sure if it reports via Ethernet the current
instantaneous consumption ( I see it diplays it) or if that is important
to you.

As you are going to write your own software anyway you could do this
at a lower cost (via Ethernet) using RFXCom/Electrisave and the xPL
conduit or xAP and a Netiom/Viom with a low cost single width DIN mount
KWHr meter. However that DIN mount unit is very neat and I was surprised
it wasn't more expensive actually..   Do check you have  enough physical
space to mount it and you will need to observe some regulations
regarding segmenting low voltage (Ethernet) and mains within the
consumer unit.