From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of David Gumbrell
Sent: 20 September 2006 23:49
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Electricty Usage/Costs (Again)

Interesting, be useful to compile some comparisons, especially
multi-disk PC
server vs multi-disk RAID NAS like the Infrant etc.

My meagre datapoints ...

Mini-ITX (1Ghz C3) one disk running DSL+ Slimserver, OS via CF card:55W
running, 43W HD spun-down, 17W standby (bloody disgraceful). When I've
got
time I need to sort out forced shutdown and WOL from Cortex.

Also just replaced IPCOP/Old PC (dunno but probably ~100W) with the
6-NIC
firewall device from LINITX (1GHz C3 again, CF card, 133MHz SDRAM) - 17W
running. Looks like it would have quite a reasonable payback period.

Can't believe these shutdown results, complete disgrace, I must see what
my
household baseload is like with "shutdown" PCs and various device
chargers
etc through the night. I think it would pay to sort out some more
automated
sockets...

It also makes the multiple HA servers via virtualisation on single fast
PC
vs multiple slower PC question worth getting some data on.

Cheers,

David

On 9/20/06, John Benfield <john.benfield@
<mailto:john.benfield%40gmail.com>
gmail.com> wrote:

> > >Another scary thing I noticed is that when the Dell PC was
shut
down,