Latest message you have seen: New Samsung TV - with ethernet built in!

Re: Remote networking / VPNs

Thanks Paul, (see below)

On 9/23/06, Paul Gordon <paul@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> If you're suggesting that you'd just be using your home broadband
> connection to then connect back out from your home LAN to your own
ISP,
> then again I wonder what's the point? - why not just connect directly
> your POP mailbox from wherever you happen to be?..

That's what I was trying to describe. Reading your explanations I
agree it sounds a bit long-winded.

> I imagine the one possible scenario might be if wherever you happen to
> be has restricted access, and blocks POP3 traffic perhaps... - In my
> experience on numerous client sites, I tend to find that anyone who
> bothers to block POP traffic also usually block VPN connections as
> well...

I don't (currently) run a mail server at home, email is collected by
POP3 directly by individual PCs. While I haven't come across a
scenario yet, I could see a need to get back into my home LAN to
extract data etc. particularly when working away from home.
Also, it's hardly business-critical, but MSN is blocked where I
currently work. I don't need it all the time, but it would be nice to
know I could use it if need be. Some of of the other people here do
VPN back to their own organisation so at least one type of VPN
connection gets through. I don't know about POP3, I'm still
investigating.

However, to answer your question, I believe that would work...
> i.e. yes, I think the Vigors will let you VPN in on the WAN connection
> and then connect back out to the internet on the WAN interface also, -

That's cool, thanks.

> note I haven't explicitly tested this though, since I *always* have
some
> of my PC's on at home, - one of which is my mail server, so I've never
> needed to connect back out to an external mail server over an incoming
> VPN connection... - So, don't buy one purely on the basis of what I've
> said, as I may be wrong!!
>
> Paul G.

Warning noted :-)

Thanks for the detailed reply Paul,