Latest message you have seen: Video Tour of Brilliant Living's HQ

RE: Remote networking / VPNs

Not sure exactly what you're trying to describe here...

You can VPN in from any internet connection back to your Vigor at home,
- this gets you connected back to your home LAN. - If you've left only
the Vigor on, and no other PC's as you suggest, then what's the point? -
what would you then use that VPN to connect to? - where would you pick
up your POP3 email from?

If you're suggesting that you'd just be using your home broadband
connection to then connect back out from your home LAN to your own ISP,
then again I wonder what's the point? - why not just connect directly to
your POP mailbox from wherever you happen to be?..

I imagine the one possible scenario might be if wherever you happen to
be has restricted access, and blocks POP3 traffic perhaps... - In my
experience on numerous client sites, I tend to find that anyone who
bothers to block POP traffic also usually block VPN connections as
well... However, to answer your question, I believe that would work...
i.e. yes, I think the Vigors will let you VPN in on the WAN connection
and then connect back out to the internet on the WAN interface also, -
note I haven't explicitly tested this though, since I *always* have some
of my PC's on at home, - one of which is my mail server, so I've never
needed to connect back out to an external mail server over an incoming
VPN connection... - So, don't buy one purely on the basis of what I've
said, as I may be wrong!!

Paul G.

Of
> Tim Hawes
> Sent: 22 September 2006 18:59
> To: UKHA_D Group
> Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Remote networking / VPNs
>
> Thanks Paul,
>
> Having gone back to the Draytek site I've now found this page:
> http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/about_vpn.html
which explains things