From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Chris Hunter
Sent: 09 September 2006 12:40
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Fw: [ukha_d] Re: xAP and UPNP

PS :

>'Mac development tools ...

Xcode2 comes free with Tiger :

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/XcodeQui=
kTour/index.html
<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/XcodeQu=
ckTour/index.html>=20

I'm no developer (might like to become one, though, in the HA context)=20
but if I was I might have made sense of the above ... still, 'might help
..=
.

Chris

----

Saturday, 09 Sep'06 - 1:35:17 +0100

Ian -

Thanks ! ... I've ordered the PC & some Idratek modules etc ... when=20
they arrive & I've got something set-up (in between the day-job, that
is=20
!) I'll give it a go ... 'though not sure what with (washing-machine ...=20
DAB radio ... RS232 hi-fi ... or ... ?)

>'Mac development tools ...

Yep ... actually, with Tiger, a lot of development stuff comes free, and=20
a lot of stuff is taken care-of ... they seemed to be encouraging=20
newbies to take an interest (hence the free inclusion) ... but, 'must=20
say, when I dug into it I was very surprised by what I found ... I got=20
absolutely nowhere !

Chris

----

Saturday, 09 Sep'06 - 12:04:44 +0100

from: Gareth Cook g@xxxxxxx <mailto:g%40uk.ibm.com>=20

Not just you :-)

----

Saturday, 09 Sep'06 - 10:57:49 +0100

from: Ian Lowe
ianlowe@xxxxxxx <mailto:ianlowe%40xplproject.org.uk>=20

>'still can't get my mind round this ...

1) pick your device / system

2) get a gateway / plugin / app' that adds xPL support to that device /=20
system

3) plan some logic, which things should trigger which other things to=20
happen, whether that's time of day, people in the house, the 'phone=20
ringing, a PIR being activated whatever.

4) add determinators (or simple scripts) to implement that logic

Rinse, lather, repeat.

There really isn't anything more to it than that, and there are quite=20
extensive docs explaining how to do all of this stuff.

Of course, it might not suit you, as although there are a variety of=20
Linux & 'Windows app's / gateways, there's pretty much nothing on
'Mac,=20
which is largely to do with just how god-awful the 'Mac development=20
tools are ! (not to mention expensive - VB2005 express is a free=20
download, the 'MacOSX dev' platform is over =A3600 !!)

Ian

=20