Re: VGA with removable connector ?

There are some other CAT5 based KVM's by Adderlink in the UK

http://www.adder.com/main.asp?id=508_2073

They occasionally come up on eBay - and there are varieties of model.
Interestingly one of them (AdderLink XL Gold) supports a serial port as
well as VGA, keyboard, speaker audio out, mic audio in , power, all over
one CAT5.   Having an option for a keyboard/mouse might not be useful of
course in your application. The serial link may support the touchscreen
back to the PC although port rates are very limited.  The XLGold also
supports a connection of a local console/PC at both ends of the link.

If you are short of space behind - are you able to run to a nearby
location where the box could be located and then onwards perhaps ?

Marcus Warrington wrote:

> No, the conduit is oval shaped and only about 10mm in diameter (I
> can't remember exactly), so I'd probably use clip on style ferrite
> cores rather than moulded.
>
> With regards the CPC VGA extender boxes, I've seen these before but
> the problem is that the TFT screen is fixed into solid brick wall so
> there isn't any room behind the TFT to accommodate an extra box of
> tricks. I also seem to remember that CPC were selling these on special
> for around £45-50 a few months ago... there uised to be some
trick
> like adding an 's' to the end of the CPC Number in order to get the
> special price ???
>
> Marcus
>
> ________________________________
>
> From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>
On
> Behalf Of Tim Hawes
> Sent: 07 September 2006 12:26
> To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>
> Subject: Re: [ukha_d] VGA with removable connector ?
>
> While the website is pretty poor, I've never had anything turn up with
> that sort of difference...yet.
>
> A quick google on manufacturers part number turns up this:
> http://www.intronics.nl/intronics/CP_PN.jsp?PM=128572&L5=128572&L5M=128545&L2M=128419
> <http://www.intronics.nl/intronics/CP_PN.jsp?PM=128572&L5=128572&L5M=128545&L2M=128419>
> <http://www.intronics.nl/intronics/CP_PN.jsp?PM=128572&L5=128572&L5M=128545&L2M=128419
> <http://www.intronics.nl/intronics/CP_PN.jsp?PM=128572&L5=128572&L5M=128545&L2M=128419>>
>

> Which confirms the plug style as per the CPC picture, but also
> indicates the cables have ferrite cores - can you pass those through
> your conduit?
>
> If so, might the plugs fit through the conduit as-is if you cut the
> "ears" off ? (the bits that the securing screws pass though)
>
> I did just remember this though:
> http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=CS10932
> <http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=CS10932>
> <http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=CS10932
> <http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=CS10932>>
> Send the video over cat5 so you only need a cat5 cable, and maybe an
> LV power cable in the conduit. The box is a bit large but maybe you
> could hide that somewhere else and run a short VGA lead to the screen
> all within the destination room?
> £55+vat, unfortunately :-((
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tim.
>
> On 9/7/06, Marcus Warrington <marcus.warrington@xxxxxxx
> <mailto:marcus.warrington%40mis-es.com>
> <mailto:marcus.warrington%40mis-es.com>
> wrote:
> > That's the sort of cable I was after, but like you say the images
> "are for illustration only" so I'm not confident that the
cable