RE: Running CAT5 and Ring Main together

  • Subject: RE: Running CAT5 and Ring Main together
  • From: "Nigel Giddings" <nigel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 07:08:00 -0000

Ben,

Most people will cringe if you talk about routing power and data (CAT5e)
together... The question is how close before it becomes a problem?

If you have a clear space then try to design the layout with maximum
separation, 300mm minimum. I have a wall where Power and Data mix and I
have arranged the power to one side with data to the other so they are
separated by the appliances or modules themselves.

The problem is made worse if the current in the mains cable is high,
higher current produces a stronger magnetic field. This is made even
worse if the cables run parallel to each other for some distance. There
is little or no effect if they cross at 90 degrees.

I have also used metal conduit for the mains power cables which, when
earthed, provides additional shielding reducing induced currents into
nearby data cables.

Some photos here

http://node0.corbenic.co.uk/photos/photo1.html

Nigel