Re: XBox360 for audio distribution

My experience with most other music player systems has been a slightly
annoying delay in some responsiveness. SlimServer for me (although it
has improved in leaps and bounds) has always been disappointing. In some
earlier software revisions it was unusable.   This slight delay is
probably going to be true of any system that uses a client server web
based control screen. uPNP based systems recovering large lists are also
slowish.  I can't comment on XBox 360 - presumably used as  Media
Extender as I don't use it this way.

Sonos is relatively snappy - it could do with a slight speed hike
occasionally but for the most part it's very satisfactory.  You can't
'browse' a Sonos system library by cover art in any sensible way. The
cover art appears about a second after selecting a new album if you're
stepping through new items and effectively instantly as you play music.
The slight downside on Sonos is that's is a relatively closed system
(can't be adapted for control easily) and that it has a library
limitation of 50K tracks which isn't important to most. It also can't
play DRM'd music from say Napster.  It does have an inbuilt Rhapsody
client which is wonderful - although not currently available to UK
subscribers.

John Murray wrote:

> You mention speed. Do you mean speed of album art display on the
> remote? That is a concern of mine. Is it fast?

> There are many ways to achieve what you're after , with and without
> an XBox360. Many standalone hardware music players too like Slim,
Roku,