RE: Complete HA system

  • Subject: RE: Complete HA system
  • From: "Nigel Giddings" <nigel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 19:25:09 -0000

Hi Peter,

Welcome to the list...

Like you say there are many ways to approach HA and a number of
different products, not all of them being compatible with each other.

There are a number of solutions which act as 'middle ware' which enable
you to integrate several sub systems and give that overall intelligence
that seems to be the Holy Grail of HA.

I would suggest you look into the XPL and Xap protocols which are
gaining a lot of popularity, especially with serious DIY type Home
Automaters. I also use Homeseer, www.homeseer.com
<http://www.homeseer.com/>  , which
is expensive to get started but has
a great support base in its forums which you can get to from the home
page.

There are also various ways to achieve whole house audio/video ,
www.xlobby.com <http://www.xlobby.com/>  , as an
example  which is also
Windows PC based.

It is worth doing the reading and then trying to capture your
requirements in a document or diagrams. Obviously an Ethernet network
will for the basis for most of the equipment but also other inputs and
outputs for movement detection, temperature, security... If these can
all be part of the fundamental design it will make things easier later.

HTH

Nigel

PS, where in Hungary are you? I spent a great year there working in
Budapest a few years ago....