Re: Which NAS Box?

  • Subject: Re: Which NAS Box?
  • From: "keyvan2r" <keyvan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 22:54:38 -0000

I use one of these:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=3D288569

It looks nice :-) and works fine with sonos and is very quick &=20
quiet. But I agree with Mal, if cost is an issue you can use any pc=20
(I have used an old PIII 800Mhz / 256Mb Gateway in the past with=20
good results) and put your IDE drive in it and get one of many free=20
Linux NAS software tools around - Samba or similar. If the PC case=20
can take it, you can a cheap IDE-PCI contoller for more storage=20
later.

Keyvan

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Mal Lansell <mal@...> wrote:

> You may not "need" a full blown computer, but that's
basically=20
what is=20
> inside any NAS.  It's a lot cheaper to just throw together a=20
simple PC=20
> (especially if you have any spare parts lying around), and would=20
save=20
> more than the value of that 250Gb drive you don't want to waste.
>=20
> Mal
>=20
>=20
> Ben McCormack wrote:
>=20
> >Hi All
> >
> >I am looking for a NAS box to server a few machines around the=20
house=20=20
> >and I have the following requirements.
> >
> >1. I already have a 250Gb IDE Drive that I want to use. So the=20
unit=20=20
> >must be bare and take IDE Drives
> >2. I would like it to support iTunes sharing.
> >3. Mac Compatible.
> >4. I am happy to do some hacking to install Linux if thats what
I=20
need.